Unplug & Relax
Unplug + Relax: 3 Places to Visit in Connecticut for a Digital Detox
From mobile devices to tablets, social media, e-mail, texting and more, “always on” is no longer an exception, but an expectation. Information overload and the data deluge are inevitable today. At two months into the New Year, March is the perfect time to treat yourself to a digital detox. This month, escape to Connecticut to experience rest, relaxation, rejuvenation and the natural goodness of Connecticut’s seasonal maple sugar delights.
Escape into the Quiet, Natural Beauty of Litchfield Hills
There’s no better place to begin your digital detox then somewhere peaceful and surrounded by nature, far from the screeching noises of the city. Litchfield Hills is the perfect destination for a rejuvenating escape – plus, its home to several top-notch spas, including the luxurious Mayflower Inn & Spa in Washington and The Winvian Spa in Morris.
At the Mayflower Inn & Spa, inquire about their relaxing Steeprock Stone Body Therapy, where the specialists use warm Steeprock river stones and potent oils to soothe your body and free your spirit. Also, try the traditional Japanese Shiatsu therapy which uses a variety of customized techniques to stimulate energy flow. If you’re looking for an energy boost, take advantage of Reiki therapy at the Winvian Spa in Litchfield Hills, a Japanese treatment that offers a unique method designed to rebalance the body and increase your energy.
After a morning of relaxation at the spa, treat yourself to something sweet. Drive to the LaMothe Sugar House in Burlington to see how maple syrup is made – the owners of the family-owned sugarhouse will walk you through the process from beginning to end and you’ll even get to have some of your own treats at the very end! Then head back to Mayflower Inn & Spa or Winvian for some peaceful rest amidst beautiful nature backdrops.
By the Shore: A Girlfriend’s Oasis
You certainly can’t be the only one in desperate need of a digital detox – grab your friends and encourage them to break free of their digital devices for a girlfriend’s retreat. The Water’s Edge Resort and Spa offers a great Girlfriends Spa Package where each friend will enjoy head-to-toe attention with a European Facial, Swedish Massage and Marine Therapy Pedicure. Beyond a fantastic spa, the resort also offers incredible indoor and outdoor dining, luxurious accommodations and the most peaceful beach – making it the perfect place to stay for a digital detox!
If you’re looking for a nearby natural food exploit during your stay, you’ll love the experience of visiting the nearby Moore’s Sugar Shack on 413 Pond Meadow Road in Westbrook (860-388-7309). March is the perfect time for maple sugaring and the owners will demonstrate how their maple sugar delights are created.
New London Adventures
The New London area is also packed with spectacular spas, perfect for your digital detox. Here is a sampling of special spa treatments to check out:
- Try the revitalizer package at The Spa at Norwich Inn, where you’ll delight in one of their 50 minute services, such as milk and honey pedicures or deep cleansing facials. The package also includes participation in yoga or Pilates class, full access to the spa facility and lunch at the delicious Kensington’s Restaurant.
- The Elemis Spa at Mohegan Sun offers the perfect spa experience for those looking for glowing skin. Sooth away the stress with an oxygen wrap, deep pore treatment massage and a targeted Task Mask to keep breakouts at bay.
- Gather the guys and head to the Saybrook Inn and Spa to enjoy a “Gents Facial” -- created just for him. A hot towel barber wrap and facial massage makes this package a home run.
And if your heart desires some natural Connecticut sweets at the end of the day, the Bureau's Sugarhouse in Old Lyme has a variety of satisfying selections for any sweet tooth (friendly tip: try their popular Maple Kettle Korn)!
- Celebrate Mother's Day, Memorial Day and More in Connecticut
- Get Out! 5 Outdoor Activities to Try in Connecticut
- Connecticut's Blossom Season
- Hike Connecticut’s Blue-Blazed Trails
- Spring Walks
- Outdoor Dining in Connecticut
- Connecticut Open House Day 2013 - June 8th
- Unplug & Relax
- Find the Perfect Ale along Connecticut's Beer Trail
- 2013 Visitors Guide Now Available
- Connecticut's Quaint New England Towns & Villages
- Connecticut's Cultural Treasures
- Connecticut Chocolate Trail
- Revolutionary Events in Connecticut History
- Connect with Connecticut on Facebook and Twitter!