Martin Luther King Events 2014
Honor Martin Luther King, Jr., January 20, 2014
Each January, we recognize the inspirational and visionary Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., by commemorating the anniversary of his birthday. Epitomizing nonviolent civil rights and social change, Dr. King was a defining figure in the American Civil Rights Movement and in U.S. history.
There are several ways to honor Dr. King in Connecticut this January:
National Day of Service
The federal holiday in January each year honoring Martin Luther King, Jr. is also designated a national day of service. Observed annually on the third Monday in January, the MLK Day of Service provides the opportunity for individuals to make a difference by volunteering in community projects and initiatives throughout the U.S. For information on how you can participate in your area, go to www.mlkday.gov.
University of Bridgeport MLK Day of Service 2014
As part of a nationwide initiative, join hundreds of volunteers in service to their local region at the University of Bridgeport MLK Day of Service. Check in at 8:30 a.m. in the Lobby of the John J. Cox Student Center. Speakers, performances and an opening ceremony will follow; participate in volunteer service projects. For information and availability, go to http://events.ctpost.com/bridgeport_ct/events/show/364947303-university-of-bridgeport-mlk-day-of-service-2014.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Breakfast
Observe the teachings and life of Martin Luther King, Jr. at the 29th annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Breakfast, Monday, January 20, 2014 at 9 a.m., Connecticut Convention Center, Hartford. The breakfast is hosted by the Hartford Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., and Dr. Paulette C. Walker, National President of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., will be keynote speaker. The event is open to the public. For tickets and information, visit www.dsthartford.org or call 860-880-1913.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Observance
Pay tribute to the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at the University of Hartford on Monday, January 20, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Lincoln Center. Join the university’s one-hour observance event, open to the public. For more information, contact the Office of University Relations at 860-768-4220.
18th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Legacy of Environmental and Social Justice 2014
Celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his commitment to environmental and social justice for all at the 18th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Legacy of Environmental and Social Justice 2014, Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History. The two-day event, featuring performances and educational activities, takes place Sunday, January 19, noon to 4:30 p.m. and Monday, January 20, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For schedule of events and more information, visit http://peabody.yale.edu/events/18th-annual-dr-martin-luther-king-jr-s-legacy-environmental-and-social-justice-2014.
Songs of Freedom & Struggle
This season, celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. twice. Come and hear “Songs of Freedom & Struggle,” a Friday Night Folk live concert, in New London, Friday, January 17, 2014. Then see “It Isn't Nice: A History of Nonviolence in the U.S.,” an historical performance piece with readings and songs. It’s part of a day-long event at the Voluntown Peace Trust taking place on Saturday, February 22, 2014. For tickets and information, visit http://www.voluntownpeacetrust.org/sfs.html.
- 10 Reasons to Love Connecticut during the Holiday Season
- 10 Things to Do in CT - Before You Lose Your Paid Vacation Days
- Made in CT - A Holiday Extravaganza for Gift-Givers
- In Connecticut, Follow the Lights to Holiday Cheer!
- Winter Sleigh Rides in Connecticut
- Fun & Festive New Year’s Eve Celebrations!
- Santa Sightings in Connecticut
- Pick Your Own Connecticut Christmas Tree!
- Holiday Getaways
- Skiing, Snowboarding & Tubing in Connecticut
- Making the Most of the Wine Trail
- The Great Stages of Connecticut
- Connecticut’s Top 10 2014 Fan-Favorite Towns
- New Connecticut Antiques Trail
- Connecticut's Top 10 Hiking Trails
- Connecticut Chocolate Trail
- Find the Perfect Ale along Connecticut's Beer Trail
- Connecticut Favorites 2014
- Revolutionary Connecticut
- Connecticut's Cultural Treasures
- A Romantic Night Away
- Splash & Play
- Instant Romance Package
- Create-Your-Own-Package & Save
- Treasure Hunting
- Mystic Seaport Package: The Museum of America and the Sea
- Connecticut Still Revolutionary Culture Seekers
- Holiday Shopping: Stay, Shop & Save!
- Stay & Play: Catch the Holiday Spirit
- CoCo's Rockin' New Year's Eve Party