Eagle Watching in Connecticut
Calling all birders! Be on the lookout for birds that inhabit the Connecticut River this season, including the magnificent Bald Eagle. Sightings can be breathtaking and unforgettable. Join in one of the many activities or visit the sites in Connecticut earmarked for eagle watching.
Celebrate Eagle Watch Season at the Connecticut River Museum, Essex this February and March. You’ll get a prime spot for viewing eagles and other birds on an Eagle Watch Boat Tour along the Connecticut River. While watching for visiting birds, take in the splendor of the River during the winter. For best results, remember to bring your binoculars!
Aptly named, Eagle Landing State Park, Haddam, is a popular destination for eagle viewing in the lower Connecticut River Valley. With 16 acres of land preserve along the Connecticut River, it’s where you can experience the excitement of spotting a Bald Eagle! You may also see the rare golden eagle, which sometimes visit during the winter. Don’t forget your field glasses for a closer look!
And if you choose, set out on the water with a Winter Wonderland/Eagle Cruise, offered by Connecticut River Expeditions. Search for migrating and resident Bald Eagles and other wintering wildlife aboard the RiverQuest, where you can listen to a naturalist’s talk on eagle biology and ecology. In addition to the Bald Eagle, wildlife sighted on 2013 cruises included the ruddy duck, red-tailed hawk, mallard, bufflehead and great blue heron. Discover this beautiful and serene way to experience the Connecticut River. Cruises depart from Eagle Landing State Park, Haddam. Reservations are required; must be at least 10 years of age to participate.
Soar with the eagles! For a spectacular view of bald eagles this winter, climb aboard a hot air balloon ride and enjoy a breathtaking journey with Berkshire Balloons, Plainville. Balloon rides launch from the Farmington River Valley, New Hartford and Litchfield areas to take you high in the sky for views of birds and other wildlife, and a bird’s eye view of reservoirs and rolling hills. You’ll land with amazing bird-watching stories to share with family and friends!
For a serene eagle watching experience, spend time at The Shepaug Dam Bald Eagle Observation Area on the Housatonic River, Southbury. It’s a hospitable location for the wintering birds and an appealing location for sightings! Open now; reservations are required.
Share your winter bird watching photos with us! Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/visitconnecticut, Twitter page at www.twitter.com/ctvisit and Pinterest page at http://pinterest.com/visitct/.
- Your 2015 Connecticut Checklist: Top Attractions and Events to Experience This Year
- Connecticut’s Top Winter Attractions
- Winter Getaways for Less Than $15
- Fireside Dining in Connecticut
- Cozy Connecticut Inns
- Winter Sleigh Rides in Connecticut
- Skiing, Snowboarding & Tubing in Connecticut
- Making the Most of the Wine Trail
- Winter Wine Celebrations 2015
- Top 10 - Connecticut's Dining Favorites
- Connecticut’s Top 10 Fan-Favorite Towns
- Connecticut Antiques Trail
- Connecticut's Top 10 Hiking Trails
- Connecticut Chocolate Trail
- Weddings in Connecticut
- Find the Perfect Ale along Connecticut's Beer Trail
- 2015 February School Vacation Fun
- Connecticut Favorites 2014
- The Great Stages of Connecticut
- Revolutionary Connecticut
- Connecticut's Quaint New England Towns & Villages
- Connecticut's Cultural Treasures
- Instant Romance Package
- Create-Your-Own-Package & Save
- Connecticut Still Revolutionary Culture Seekers
- Oyster Delight
- Family Ski Package at the Ridge
- Mohawk Mountain Ski & Stay Package
- Mystic in the Winter
- Shoreline Express Package
- January Recovery Special (Save 38-50%)
- Winter Adventure Package: The Eagles are Here!
- Food Lovers Package - Italian Winter Holiday
- Valentine's Day Promotion