The Rough Patch is a triathlon that defines the word rugged. Join other rugged athletes for the inaugural off-road triathlon racing over roots, rocks and swimming in Green Fall Pond. This event highlights the rough and rugged terrain of the Pachaug State Forest. The area provides the best possible race day adventure experience, in a fun, friendly, family-focused environment. The race is in stark contrast to standard triathlon experiences and will challenge athletes with uneven terrain, dirt, rocks, and tree limbs. This area was chosen as the event site for its unique topographical characteristics, undeveloped natural beauty, and the challenge for on- and off-trail routes. With that said it is of great importance that we leave no trace, it is very important to us as race directors that all who participate in this race know that whatever you bring in must leave with you.
- The event steps outside of the typical triathlon experience in a number of ways:
- Open water swim course in Green Fall Pond. Get ready to navigate around islands.
- Bike and run courses take the athlete over roots and rocks with a portion of the race leading through the forest of designated trails
- Separate kayak, canoe, and stand-up paddleboard triathlon
- Kids race
- Relay options
- The race course goes through the Valley of Death
- Commune with nature while crushing trails of the Pachaug Forest