- A Mystic Deal
- Where to Cool Off
- Vote Fan-Favorite
- CT Fireworks 2014
- Try It!
- Beach Rentals
- Adventure Amusements
- Mohegan Sun
- CT Antiques Trail
- On The Water
- CT Beer Trail
- The Summer Circuit
- Park It Here
- Maritime Aquarium
- Classic Drive-Ins
- American Art
- Win a Free Getaway
- Under the Covers
- Outdoor Dining
52 GetawaysSee All 52 Getaways
39. Amistad for All
On June 28, 1839, the Spanish ship La Amistad left Havana, Cuba, with 53 Africans who had been kidnapped from their homeland. The Africans revolted, and the ship eventually ended up in Long Island Sound. Jailed in New Haven, the Africans endured a two-year trial to determine their fate. They won their freedom in 1841. Today, the Amistad story - interpreted by Steven Spielberg in his 1997 movie - rings throughout Connecticut. Art, exhibitions - even a recreation of the ship - inspire thousands of visitors annually. Many of the stops mentioned below are part of the Connecticut Freedom Trail (www.ctfreedomtrail.com), a comprehensive list of sites on the Underground Railroad, Amistad locales, and key gravesites, monuments, and homes.
|Seasons:||Spring, Fall, Winter|
- Where to Cool Off This Summer
- Connecticut Fireworks 2014!
- Summer Getaway of the Week
- Unexpected Americana Fun!
- Your Ultimate Summer Guide
- Under the Covers: Summer Reading, Connecticut-Style
- State Launches Second-Annual Connecticut still revolutionary Fan-Favorite Town
- Connecticut Inspires Summer Travel With The “Great Getaway To Connecticut Sweepstakes"
- Romantic Couples Escapes
- New Revolutionary Getaways!
- Outdoor Dining in Connecticut
- Book Your Connecticut Beach Rental Now!
- New Connecticut Antiques Trail
- Find the Perfect Ale along Connecticut's Beer Trail
- Get Out on the Water!
- Connecticut Favorites 2014
- Connecticut's Top 10 Hiking Trails
- Revolutionary Connecticut
- Connecticut’s Top 10 Fan-Favorite Towns
- Connecticut's Cultural Treasures
- Try One of Connecticut's Swimming Holes for Water Fun and More
- Hot Diggity Dog! A Connecticut Hot Dog Tour