34 Things to Do in Connecticut This March Last Updated 3/21
Looking for something to do in Connecticut in March? Even with all the COVID-19 safety restrictions, there is still so much to see and do — and you can be sure businesses are working hard to keep you safe. Whether you want something active or relaxing, cultural or nature-oriented, historic or trendy, Connecticut's got you covered. Here are some highlights for March.
At this time, attractions are working dilligently to prioritize safety. Just be sure to check with each location before venturing out as hours may change due to COVID-19.
For even more ideas check out CTvisit.com where you can search by type of activity under the DO navigation, or browse articles full of ideas under the IDEAS tab.
2. Take in sights of nature. All across Connecticut, hikers are coming out of their homes to celebrate the first day of Spring on March 20th. Ring in this new season with a nature walk through one of Connecticut’s top hiking trails or get away with these great towns for hiking.
3. Skate your heart out. Visit one of Connecticut’s indoor roller rinks and test out your ability to stay under pressure on wheels. Plan a trip to Ron-A-Roll Indoor Roller Skating Center in Vernon, or Middletown Roller Skating Park – all levels of skaters are encouraged!
4. Climb, swing, and zip. Have you ever wondered what it’d feel like to swing through the jungle like a monkey? Try out the world’s largest indoor ropes course in New Haven. IT Adventure Ropes Course has many adrenaline pumping activities for all participants, no matter their age!
Rest and Relaxation
5. Go window shopping. Enjoy Connecticut’s spring weather by taking in a leisurely day of window shopping at one of the state’s many lovely walkable town centers or these great towns for shopping. You’ll never now what you’ll find around every corner.
6. Get grounded. Spend a day de-stressing by practicing yoga in a blissful new location: a salt cave. Try a yoga class at Salt Cave of Darien or meditation-based yoga at Soulshine Salt Cavern in Durham for a whole new level of relaxation.
7. Take a stroll. Enjoy the newly spring weather and take a relaxing stroll of one of Connecticut’s many charming towns. From the rolling hills of Kent, to the quaint oceanside town of Stonington, explore all the hidden gems Connecticut has to offer.
8. Sip some liquid inspiration. Coffee is known to fuel and energize the brain – explore a new coffee shop to get your creative juices flowing! Small, medium, or large, discover your perfect cup of joe at Higher Grounds Coffee Shop in East Haddam, Cheshire Coffee in Cheshire, Dom’s Coffee in Avon, JavaHut Cafe in Guilford, or Molten Java in Bethel.
9. See eagles, osprey & seals. March is a perfect time to watch wildlife. See birds and seals aboard R/V Spirit of the Sound's Seal Spotting & Birding Cruises or plan ahead to observe osprey and eagles on RiverQuest's Spring Osprey/Eagle Cruises.
Arts and Culture
10. Read the rare, digitally. A popular spot to sift through the pages of hidden treasures is at the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library in New Haven. While the library is closed due to COVID-19, the digital library is sure to fascinate any reader.
11. Take a historical tour. Tour one of Connecticut's many history museums including the Keeler Tavern Museum in Ridgefield, Greenwich Historical Society, the Hill-Stead Museum in Farmington, Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme, Mystic River Historical Society and more.
12. Get creative. Take a trip to Fired Up in Branford and paint your own pottery! Or, try their virtual pottery classes. If you’re feeling like trying out a different type of medium, check out Muse Paint Bar in West Hartford.
13. Go on the (antique) hunt. Connecticut is filled with fascinating vintage treasures waiting to be found. Start your treasure hunt on the Antiques Trail.
14. Find beauty in greenhouses. From March 5-12, admire a gorgeous array of spring flowers inside the historic greenhouse at Elizabeth Park. You'll discover blooms including tulips, daffodils, amaryllis, scented geraniums, pansies, trellised sweet peas, culinary herbs, hanging baskets, and more. Or attend a special presentation of 500 pieces of the Riverton, Connecticut-based artist Peter Greenwood's glass art, which will be displayed throughout the Greenhouse at Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo, using lush foliage and beautiful blossoms to enhance the beauty of both artwork and plants.
Food and Drink Adventures
15. Dine in unique locations. Taste a few of Connecticut’s best cuisines, in some of the most unexpected locations. Enjoy a craft beer in a repurposed engine room, authentic barbeque in a gas station, Mediterranean entrees in an old library, and many more unique dining experiences!
16. 'Tis the season: maple edition. Did you know that March is maple sugar season in Connecticut? Celebrate the sweet liquid gold at maple syrup farms like Lamothe's Sugar House in Burlington and Sweet Wind Farm Sugarhouse & Farm Stand in East Hartland, or even try the Tap-A-Tree Maple Sugaring Program at Ambler Farm in Wilton.
17. Try out 1, 2, or 3 new cocktails. Sip on The B's Knees cocktail and Spicy Passionfruit Margarita while safely journeying along Connecticut’s signature cocktail trail. For extra fun, be sure to make reservations to stay over to continue on the trail the next day!
18. Sample some chocolate. Prolong Valentine's Day and take a trip down the Chocolate Trail to find the best goodies for your loved ones (and treat yourself while you’re at it!)
19. Enjoy craft breweries. Connecticut’s craft beer scene is growing. Visit these destination breweries. Many even offer curbside pickup or delivery!
20. Taste Apizza heaven. Stroll downtown New Haven and pop in to try the #1 pizza in America. While you're at it, sample the six different Connecticut pizza spots that rank in the nation's top 50.
21. Be a foodie fan. Love Iron Chef or Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives? Many of the best celebrity chefs actually have restaurants in Connecticut that are fun and easy to check out – and delicious too.
22. Support restaurants with takeout. If you feel like staying in and staying cozy, you can still #SupportCTbusinesses by ordering takeout or delivery from stellar restaurants across the state.
23. Celebrate the Irish way. Want to feel the warmth of the Irish this St. Patrick's Day? Find a hefty pint of Guinness Connecticut’s many Irish pubs, or take-home a traditional Irish feast the whole family will savor.
24. Have serious fun. With bumper cars, laser tag, black life mini golf and more, Nomads Adventure Quest has 65,000 square feet of fun for kids of all ages. Plan a family outing for memories that will last.
25. Become Sherlock Holmes. Grab your magnifying glass, detective hat, and come together as a family to crack the code that’s needed to exit one of Connecticut’s many escape rooms! Can you escape from Mind Factory Escape Games, Mystified Escape Rooms, Mission Escape Games, or Wigwam Escape?
26. Plan a day trip to the tropics. Receive a truly tropical experience by heading into the Butterfly Enclosure at the Connecticut Science Center! Experience 40-50 different species of magnificent and educational butterflies free flying right above your head.
28. Get some fresh air. Looking to get outdoors? Round up the kids and explore these parks they're sure to love.
29. Chase sunsets. Spring brings not only more light, but warmer nights. What better way to celebrate the changing of the seasons than by watching the sunset with your special someone at one of Connecticut’s picturesque beaches. Cozy up with warm blankets and bottle of wine to watch the show in the sky.
30. Plan date night. Take your special someone out to SoNo (South Norwalk), where you’ll find endless food and drink options, along with picturesque views.
32. Dinner by candlelight. Sit fireside for a romantic evening full of intimate conversation and warm embraces while enjoying a batch of steamed Cape Cod Bay Mussels. Explore a seaside romance at Fresh Salt in Old Saybrook.
33. Paint your love together. Looking for a new fun date night activity? Master the art of painting together at one of Connecticut’s painting studios! Create a classic beach scene or fruit basket at Essex Paint and Sip in Essex or try a virtual painting class together by Painting with a Twist in Hartford.
34. Try a little of everything. From art, escape rooms, and casinos, to spas, distilleries, and nature centers, plan the perfect day with your special someone, experiencing something new at every corner.