36 Things to Do in Connecticut This March Last Updated 3/20
Looking for something to do in Connecticut in March? Whether you want something active, relaxing, cultural, nature-oriented or romantic, we have you covered. Learn More!
For even more ideas check out CTvisit.com where you can search by type of activity under the DO navigation, or browse articles full of ideas under the IDEAS tab.
2. Take in sights of nature. All across Connecticut, hikers are coming out of their homes to celebrate the first day of Spring on March 19th. Ring in this new season with a nature walk through one of Connecticut’s top hiking trails or get away with these great towns for hiking.
3. Skate your heart out. Visit one of Connecticut’s indoor roller rinks and test out your ability to stay under pressure on wheels. Plan a trip to Ron-A-Roll Indoor Roller Skating Center in Vernon, or Middletown Roller Skating Park – all levels of skaters are encouraged!
4. Climb, swing, and zip. Have you ever wondered what it’d feel like to swing through the jungle like a monkey? Try out the world’s largest indoor ropes course in New Haven. IT Adventure Ropes Course has many adrenaline pumping activities for all participants, no matter their age!
Rest and Relaxation
5. Go window shopping. Enjoy Connecticut’s spring weather by taking in a leisurely day of window shopping at one of the state’s many lovely walkable town centers or these great towns for shopping. You’ll never now what you’ll find around every corner.
7. Take a stroll. Enjoy the newly spring weather and take a relaxing stroll of one of Connecticut’s many charming towns. From the rolling hills of Kent, to the quaint oceanside town of Stonington, explore all the hidden gems Connecticut has to offer.
8. Sip some liquid inspiration. Coffee is known to fuel and energize the brain – explore a new coffee shop to get your creative juices flowing! Small, medium, or large, discover your perfect cup of joe at Higher Grounds Coffee Shop in East Haddam, Cheshire Coffee in Cheshire, Dom’s Coffee in Avon, JavaHut Cafe in Guilford, Craftsman Cliff Roasters in Norwich, or Molten Java in Bethel.
Arts and Culture
9. Read the rare. Sift through the pages of hidden treasures at the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library in New Haven. There’s a little piece of history around every bookcase, from ancient papyri to medieval manuscripts, the worlds history is at your fingertips.
10. Take a historical tour. Have you ever wondered about Connecticut’s founding? Or how and why the state is the way it is today? Indulge your inner historian and check out the Connecticut State Museum of Natural History in Storrs, The Museum of Connecticut History in Hartford, The Connecticut Historical Society in Hartford, and The Mattatuck Museum in Waterbury. Perfect for your next rainy day activity!
11. Get creative. Take a trip to Fired Up in Branford and paint your own pottery! Or, if you’re feeling like trying out a different type of medium, check out Greenwood Glass Blowing Studio Gallery & School in Riverton.
12. Take a class. Want to learn something new during your travels? Connecticut is home to a diverse array of exciting class offerings from literature to art to outdoor activities!
Food and Drink Adventures
13. Tea fit for the queen's Instagram. Snap the perfect picture by photographing your delicious bites from afternoon tea across Connecticut. Start your adventure at either Tea With Tracy in Seymour, or Tea Roses Tea Room in Cromwell. For more tea fun, check out the Alice in Wonderland Spingtime Tea Party in Simsbury and this Spring Tea Party at the Gunn Memorial Library & Historical Museum.
14. Dine in unique locations. Taste a few of Connecticut’s best cuisines, in some of the most unexpected locations. Enjoy a craft beer in a repurposed engine room, authentic barbeque in a gas station, Mediterranean entrees in an old library, and many more unique dining experiences!
15. Chef it up. Explore your love of food by learning how to create your favorite meals from scratch at a cooking class! From East to West, chefs of all ages and experiences are welcomed and encouraged to take part and become the next Iron Chef!
16. 'Tis the season: maple edition. Did you know that March is maple sugar season in Connecticut? Celebrate the sweet liquid gold that is maple syrup at a maple festival near you, check out a local maple syrup farm for a sweet day out, or explore all things maple in Connecticut.
17. Try out 1, 2, or 3 new cocktails. Sip on The B's Knees cocktail and Spicy Passionfruit Margarita while journeying along Connecticut’s signature cocktail trail. For extra fun, be sure to make reservations to stay over to continue on the trail the next day!
18. Taste a bit of summer. In need of some summer vibes to get you through the changing seasons? Try out some of Connecticut’s top-rated year-around lobster destinations and chow down on the sweet buttery taste of a New England lobster roll!
19. Learn, taste and experience craft beer. Calling all craft beer lovers –the annual Connecticut Craft Beer Fest held at the Oakdale theater is right around the corner! Sip on 60+ beers produced from our very own Connecticut breweries on March 28.
20. Chocolate, beer and wine, oh my! Trigger all of your senses with a day full of guilty pleasures at the 27th Annual Chocolate & Food Festival in Waterbury. On March 28, sample chocolate truffles while sipping on a glass of Merlot, with a buttery croissant on deck.
21. Tour Ridgefield Restaurants. Partake in Ridgefield Restaurant Week March 1-7 and enjoy exclusive, curated menus from many of the hot dining spots in this culturally and culinary rich town.
22. Head back to prehistoric times. Learn about our planet’s past residents from world-renowned fossil collections and much more! Explore the Dinosaur Trail or make it an overnight and show your little ones this month how dinosaurs rule Connecticut!
23. Become Sherlock Holmes. Grab your magnifying glass, detective hat, and come together as a family to crack the code that’s needed to exit one of Connecticut’s many escape rooms! Can you escape from MindBreak Escape Rooms, Team vs Time, Escape 101, Mystified Escape Rooms, Safe Harbor Escape, or Wigwam Escape?
24. Plan a day trip to the tropics. Receive a truly tropical experience by heading into the new Butterfly Enclosure at the Connecticut Science Center! Experience 40-50 different species of magnificent and educational butterflies free flying right above your head.
26. Spend a night at the rink. The season’s not over yet! Connecticut is home to three professional hockey teams for the whole family to cheer on! Check out The Hartford Wolfpack, The Bridgeport Sound Tigers and The Connecticut Whale.
27. Get ready to cast your lines. Attend the 23rd Annual Northeast Fishing and Hunting Show to learn proper techniques from experts, purchase new equipment, and get hyped up for the upcoming fishing and hunting season! This family-friendly event will take place from March 20 to 22 at the Connecticut Convention Center.
28. Chase sunsets. Spring brings not only more light, but warmer nights. What better way to celebrate the changing of the seasons than by watching the sunset with your special someone at one of Connecticut’s picturesque beaches. Cozy up with warm blankets and bottle of wine to watch the show in the sky.
29. Hit the town. Connecticut is home to some of the most vibrant nightlife. Take your special someone out to SoNo (South Norwalk), where you’ll find endless food and drink options, along with picturesque views.
30. Drinks please. Spend the day together visiting a variety of breweries in Connecticut. Thanks to the state’s compact size, you can visit more than one location in the same day. Get out and hit the road to find your special drink together!
31. Dinner by candlelight. Sit fireside for a romantic evening full of intimate conversation and warm embraces while enjoying a batch of steamed Cape Cod Bay Mussels. Explore a seaside romance at Tavern on Main in Westport or Fresh Salt in Old Saybrook.
32. Paint your love together. Looking for a new fun date night activity? Master the art of painting together at one of Connecticut’s painting studios! Create a classic beach scene or fruit basket at Essex Paint and Sip in Essex or Painting with a Twist in Hartford.
33. Laugh the night away. Explore a new date idea and take your significant other to the Festival of Laughs at the Shubert Theater in New Haven! Featured comedian heavyweights will have you and your date laughing all night long.
Saint Patrick’s Day Festivities
34. Crawl the Irish pubs. Want to feel the warmth of the Irish? Adventure out to one of Connecticut’s many Irish pubs, and you’ll find a hefty pint of Guinness along with a good time with good friends waiting for you at the entranceway.
35. Cheer on a local parade. Get decked out in all things green this Saint Patrick’s Day while cherishing the Celtic music from various marching bands! Parades across the state are happening all month long, find one near you!
36. Run for a pot of gold. Put on those sneakers and top hats and get ready to speed towards the finish line. The luck of the Irish will help you finish a Saint Patrick’s Day 5k near you! Check out these upcoming races; O’Shenanigans 5k in Southington, Courthouse O’Putnam 5k, O’Niantic 5k, and the O’Hartford 5k.