Connecticut Fall Foliage Report
Connecticut's Fall Foliage season is right around the corner. The State’s Department of Energy & Environmental Protection (DEEP) interactive foliage report map is now available which forecasts the progression of color across our corner of New England. According to their current estimates, peak foliage will be arriving in the northeast and northwest corners of the state around Columbus Day and extending to our shoreline through early November.
State foresters predict that Connecticut will have a standout foliage season with vibrant colors. Connecticut is at an advantage in comparison to other northern New England states, as our season traditionally runs longer into the fall season, offering travelers even more opportunities to see and experience the autumn beauty. According to Christopher Martin, Director / State Forester at Bureau of Natural Resources, DEEP, “Weather conditions have been advantageous this summer to set Connecticut up for a really nice foliage season with great colors. Rainfall was only about an inch below normal, with the eastern areas of our state being a little dryer, so trees are healthy and free of fungal diseases which can mute our trees colors. Furthermore, trees were not stressed this summer by extreme heat.”
- The major peak time for the majority of the State is around Columbus Day. The leaves will change in the northern parts of the state first and then move down towards the shore.
- Predictions for peak foliage begins Oct. 9-15 in Connecticut’s Northwest and Northeast corners.
- Peak foliage will then continue southward with peak colors coming to the middle portion of the state in mid to late October and the shoreline experiencing peak colors in late October to the beginning of November.
- A little known fact is that the Connecticut River, starting at the mouth of Long Island Sound (between Old Saybrook and Old Lyme) and going up towards East Haddam, will hold the foliage the longest – into the first week or so of November.
For those planning their visits to Connecticut for the foliage season, a good resource is DEEP's Connecticut's Fall Foliage page. There you will find information on:
- Where to view the fall foliage
- The colors of fall - providing information on the leaf colors produced by different types of trees
- Why leaves change color
The diverse range of destinations and attractions across the state provide hundreds of interesting and unique vantages with which to view the gorgeous foliage. From Mystic Seaport’s harbor to a farm in the quiet countryside, to the top of Gillette Castle or from the middle of a classic Connecticut corn maze, fall in Connecticut is not to be missed.
We have put together several spectacular quick to get to, yet hard to forget, foliage driving tours which highlight our scenic routes 1, 7, 9, 15, and 169. Be sure to check out our Travel Deals and book early to reserve your best dates.
Here's to a great fall foliage season in Connecticut!
- 5 Unique Ways to Celebrate Thanksgiving
- 10 Reasons to Love Connecticut during the Holiday Season
- 10 Things to Do in CT - Before You Lose Your Paid Vacation Days
- Made in CT - A Holiday Extravaganza for Gift-Givers
- In Connecticut, Follow the Lights to Holiday Cheer!
- Winter Sleigh Rides in Connecticut
- Santa Sightings in Connecticut
- Pick Your Own Connecticut Christmas Tree!
- Holiday Getaways
- Skiing, Snowboarding & Tubing in Connecticut
- The Great Stages of Connecticut
- Connecticut’s Top 10 2014 Fan-Favorite Towns
- Making the Most of the Wine Trail
- New Connecticut Antiques Trail
- Connecticut's Top 10 Hiking Trails
- Connecticut Chocolate Trail
- Find the Perfect Ale along Connecticut's Beer Trail
- Connecticut Favorites 2014
- Revolutionary Connecticut
- Connecticut's Cultural Treasures
- A Romantic Night Away
- Splash & Play
- Instant Romance Package
- Create-Your-Own-Package & Save
- Treasure Hunting
- Take a Hike...
- Mystic Seaport Package: The Museum of America and the Sea
- Connecticut Still Revolutionary Culture Seekers
- Entertainment Package
- Holiday Shopping: Stay, Shop & Save!
- "A Christmas Carol" - 25% off Limited Tickets for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Stay & Play: Catch the Holiday Spirit