Eagle Watches In Connecticut
Connecticut is the Prime Winter Destination for Eagle Viewing
Polish those binoculars and get ready for eagle viewing in Connecticut! Up to 100 beautiful eagles spend winter along Connecticut waterways. February and early March are prime times to spot the largest concentration of eagles in the Northeast, as our country’s national symbol perches and flies high above the trees.
Start in Haddam at Eagle Landing State Park by boarding RiverQuest, the 64’ vessel run by Connecticut River Expeditions, and head down the river. The quiet RiverQuest has a heated enclosed cabin, but dress warmly so that you can enjoy the full beauty and solitude of the river on its open decks. Listen and observe as seasoned, experienced naturalists point out and educate all on local wildlife and other points of interest.
Another excellent location is the Bald Eagle Observation Area at the Shepaug Dam in Southbury, where thousands of visitors spot eagles this time of year. A popular resting area for eagles who appreciate the unfrozen water conditions, the dam offers exceptional views of the birds’ temporary habitat along the Housatonic River as well as educational exhibits and breathtaking photographs.
For more up close and on the water eagle viewing options, climb aboard the Project Oceanology's 65' Enviro-Lab III vessel for an Eagle Watch Boat Tour launching from the Connecticut River Museum in Essex. Enjoy a warm beverage in the heated cabin or on the ample deck area and listen to educators describe the behaviors and travel patterns of the eagles you’ll see. The trip also includes admission to the museum and its Eagles of Essex exhibit.
And lastly, for those who prefer to stay on land the Audubon Shop in Madison is conducting guided Eagle Watches on the Connecticut River on Saturdays through March 3rd. Pre-registration is required and please remember to bring your binoculars.
- 12 Ways to Get into the Holiday Spirit NOW
- Six “Secret” Connecticut Ingredients that Will Give Your Holiday Desserts a Twist
- In Connecticut, Follow the Lights to Holiday Cheer!
- Pick Your Own Christmas Trees
- Santa Sightings in Connecticut
- Sleigh Rides in Connecticut
- Connecticut's Quaint New England Towns & Villages
- Holiday Fun Across Connecticut
- Skiing, Snowboarding & Tubing in Connecticut
- Revolutionary Connecticut
- Connecticut Chocolate Trail
- Connecticut’s Top 10 Fan-Favorite Towns
- Connecticut Recovers
- Autumn Hikes
- Connecticut Favorites 2013
- Connecticut's Cultural Treasures
- Connecticut Wineries
- Connecticut's Top 10 Hiking Trails
- Fall Foliage Carriage Ride in Litchfield Hills
- Visit Connecticut Amtrak Discount
- Divine Wine Tasting with Priam Vineyards
- Downtown Hartford: Family Breakfast & River View Too
- Take A Hike Package
- Motorcycle Tour of the Quiet Corner
- Holiday Head Start: Shop, Spa & Stay
- Ride the Ridge at Powder Ridge Ski Mountain Park & Resort
- Festival of Lights Special