Eagle Watches In Connecticut
Connecticut is the Prime Winter Destination for Eagle Viewing
Polish those binoculars and get ready for eagle viewing in Connecticut! Up to 100 beautiful eagles spend winter along Connecticut waterways. February and early March are prime times to spot the largest concentration of eagles in the Northeast, as our country’s national symbol perches and flies high above the trees.
Start in Haddam at Eagle Landing State Park by boarding RiverQuest, the 64’ vessel run by Connecticut River Expeditions, and head down the river. The quiet RiverQuest has a heated enclosed cabin, but dress warmly so that you can enjoy the full beauty and solitude of the river on its open decks. Listen and observe as seasoned, experienced naturalists point out and educate all on local wildlife and other points of interest.
Another excellent location is the Bald Eagle Observation Area at the Shepaug Dam in Southbury, where thousands of visitors spot eagles this time of year. A popular resting area for eagles who appreciate the unfrozen water conditions, the dam offers exceptional views of the birds’ temporary habitat along the Housatonic River as well as educational exhibits and breathtaking photographs.
For more up close and on the water eagle viewing options, climb aboard the Project Oceanology's 65' Enviro-Lab III vessel for an Eagle Watch Boat Tour launching from the Connecticut River Museum in Essex. Enjoy a warm beverage in the heated cabin or on the ample deck area and listen to educators describe the behaviors and travel patterns of the eagles you’ll see. The trip also includes admission to the museum and its Eagles of Essex exhibit.
And lastly, for those who prefer to stay on land the Audubon Shop in Madison is conducting guided Eagle Watches on the Connecticut River on Saturdays through March 3rd. Pre-registration is required and please remember to bring your binoculars.
- 5 Unique Ways to Celebrate Thanksgiving
- 10 Reasons to Love Connecticut during the Holiday Season
- 10 Things to Do in CT - Before You Lose Your Paid Vacation Days
- Made in CT - A Holiday Extravaganza for Gift-Givers
- In Connecticut, Follow the Lights to Holiday Cheer!
- Winter Sleigh Rides in Connecticut
- Santa Sightings in Connecticut
- Pick Your Own Connecticut Christmas Tree!
- Holiday Getaways
- Skiing, Snowboarding & Tubing in Connecticut
- The Great Stages of Connecticut
- Connecticut’s Top 10 2014 Fan-Favorite Towns
- Making the Most of the Wine Trail
- New Connecticut Antiques Trail
- Connecticut's Top 10 Hiking Trails
- Connecticut Chocolate Trail
- Find the Perfect Ale along Connecticut's Beer Trail
- Connecticut Favorites 2014
- Revolutionary Connecticut
- Connecticut's Cultural Treasures
- A Romantic Night Away
- Splash & Play
- Instant Romance Package
- Create-Your-Own-Package & Save
- Treasure Hunting
- Take a Hike...
- Mystic Seaport Package: The Museum of America and the Sea
- Connecticut Still Revolutionary Culture Seekers
- Entertainment Package
- Holiday Shopping: Stay, Shop & Save!
- "A Christmas Carol" - 25% off Limited Tickets for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Stay & Play: Catch the Holiday Spirit