This is the historic site where, on September 6, 1781, British Forces, commanded by the infamous Benedict Arnold, captured the Fort and massacred 88 of the 165 defenders stationed there. The Ebenezer Avery House which sheltered the wounded after the battle has been restored on the grounds. The Monument House Museum has displays of Groton’s history. The Groton Monument offers sweeping views of the fort and surrounding area. Picnic area.