Built in 1793, the historic Nathan Lester House and Farm Tool Museum is surrounded by 100 acres of its own farm and land.Read More
Built in 1793, the historic Nathan Lester House and Farm Tool Museum is surrounded by 100 acres of its own farm and land. A memorial garden developed by the local garden club adjoins the side yard. The Great Oak park, an 11 acre site containing the remains of the 400 year old Ledyard Oak and given to the town by the Hill family adjoins the farm to the west. Beyond the Great Oak Park lies the Lester Family Cemetery. The land surrounding the Nathan Lester House and Farm Tool Museum provides a wonderful opportunity for hiking over three miles of periphery encompassing a number trails. Local organizations may be granted permission to use the house and grounds for authorized activities. The Gardens, grounds of the Great Oak Farm, and the Great Oak Park, other than those near ell, which are reserved for the use of the caretakers are open to the public for hikes, visiting during daylight hours (sunrise to sunset). Visitor parking lot is open at 8 a.m., and closes at sunset, year-round. Dogs are allowed on leashes.Pricing: Free, donation appreciated.
Other Amenities: Bus Parking, Camping, Gift Shop, Groups Welcome, Guided Group Tours, Indoor Activity, Meeting/Event Facilities, Pet Friendly, Planned Activites, Special Rentals, Toilets, Hiking Trails, Nature Trails