25 Summer Day Trip Ideas in Connecticut Last Updated 6/19
Meet the CT Ambassadors! CTvisit.com is proud to partner with some of Connecticut’s most popular bloggers for ideas, insights and inspirations from the people who are lucky enough to call Connecticut home. This article is from MommyPoppins.com.
Every summer weekend is an opportunity to create a mini family vacation, as easily as jumping in the car. Our friends at Mommy Poppins, a fantastic resource for families in Connecticut and beyond, make it even more compelling with a list of 25 events and attractions for some seriously awesome summer adventures. They’re grouped by area, so you can easily create your own itinerary. Click through each link for more information and inspiration.
Connecticut’s Western Hills
1. Bring a blanket and settle in for some first rate bluegrass music at the Roxbury Pickin' n Fiddlin' Contest.
2. Ride in a restored vintage 1920s train coach on a scenic 20-mile round trip at the Thomaston Railroad Museum of New England.
3. Soak in the fun at Quassy Amusement Park with old fashioned rides, a small water park and a lake with a beach.
4. Go on a drive-through safari and see exotic wildlife at Action Wildlife.
5. Visit more than 50 Alpacas and their new babies at Southwind Farms during the Daylily Alpaca Fest in July.
Close to Hartford
7. Sit in the cockpit of a fighter jet at the New England Air Museum.
8. Enjoy unlimited rides on vintage trolley cars at the Connecticut Trolley Museum.
9. Spend the day exploring water forces, bubbles, robots, galaxies, and more scientific wonders at the Connecticut Science Center.
10. Get hands on with prehistoric history at Dinosaur State Park.
11. Take a ride on a vintage 1927 wooden roller coaster at Lake Compounce, the nation’s oldest, continuously operating amusement park.
Near New Haven
12. Marvel at giant dinosaurs, tiny ant colonies, artifacts from ancient Egypt, plus so much more at the Yale Peabody Natural History Museum.
13. The North Branford Potato & Corn Festival features live music, food, games, contests, hay rides, a car show, and much more.
14. Irish music, traditional food, and entertainment for adults and children, including a petting zoo, await at North Haven’s Connecticut Irish Festival.
15. Have a picnic at one of the many great beaches nearby.
Mystic and Eastern Shore
16. Visit Mystic for the aquarium, seaport, and, of course, pizza.
17. See one of the largest fireworks displays in the nation at New London’s weekend long Sailfest.
18. Visit Ocean Beach Park for swimming and old-fashioned boardwalk fun.
19. Tour a submarine and learn about the amazing history behind the use of submarines in the military at the USS Nautilus Submarine Force Museum.
20. Walk amongst the prehistoric giants at The Dinosaur Place.
21. The Norwalk Oyster Festival has a Kids Cove with character meet and greets, variety shows, demonstrations and more.
22. Go berry picking at Jones Family Farm or one of the many others statewide.
23. Explore 80 miles of trails, Nature's Playground, Otter Pond, Bendel Pond Picnic Area, and the Heckscher Wild exotic animal exhibit at the Stamford Museum and Nature Center.
24. Check out the centaur skeleton and other weird and wonderful circus artifacts at the free Barnum Museum.
25. Make splash with sea life at Norwalk’s Maritime Aquarium!