Celebrate New Year’s Eve with Connecticut’s First Nights!
Step out this New Year’s Eve at one of Connecticut’s festive First Night celebrations! Gather with family, friends and neighbors for a joyous, entertaining evening while welcoming in the New Year.
First Night Hartford 2014 celebrates the visual and performing arts. Enjoy the excitement of the city filled with music, performance groups, artists and exhibits. Explore city and cultural venues such as Wadsworth Atheneum, Old State House, Center Church, Butler-McCook House, Hartford City Hall and State House Square. Ride the Bushnell Park Carousel at night! And, you’ll want to see one or both of the magnificent fireworks shows in Bushnell Park (shows start at 6 p.m. and midnight).
The downtown Hartford event, 2 p.m. to midnight, is multicultural, family-friendly and alcohol-free. Cost: $12 for adults; $3 for kids, ages 3 to 15; and free for kids, ages 2 and younger. For information: (www.firstnighthartford.org ) or 860-727-0050.
There’s family fun for all at First Night Westport/Weston! Kids will delight in the fun of face-painting, animal caricatures and an inflatable park, and to get teens in the New Year’s spirit, there’s a school of rock band. All can listen to the sounds of Broadway music, Gospel, jazz and blues – and even join in a family square dance! Adding to the festivities are palm readers, a magician, a ventriloquist, horse drawn carriage rides, an outdoor warming fire, free tea at the Bigelow Tea House – and more! The event is 4 – 10 p.m. Cost: $15 for entrance to all events; free admission for children ages 2 and under. Information: (www.firstnightww.com).
Marking First Night Danbury is its “Young at Heart” theme, featuring fun and entertainment for generations of families. Vocal illusionist Kenny Warren and his sidekick, “Leroy Cool,” will host the evening’s vaudeville performance at The Palace Danbury. Not deterred by icy temperatures? Attend an ice hockey league workshop, go for a public skate or marvel at the spectacular ice sculpture creations! Be imaginative in an arts and crafts workshop or spend an enchanted evening at the magician’s show. Spend time with animated storytellers or simply take in any of the joyful musical performances of the night. The First Night Danbury celebration is New Year’s Eve, 4 – 8 p.m., downtown Danbury. Cost is $10 per person. Information: (www.firstnightdanbury.org ) or 203-792-1711.
For more holiday events, ideas and fun throughout Connecticut, visit (www.CTVisit.com).
- 5 Surefire Ways to Leave Behind the Winter Doldrums
- Celebrate St. Patrick's Day in Connecticut!
- Mud Season in Connecticut
- Maple Sugaring in Connecticut
- Connecticut’s Walkable Towns For Spring
- Find the Perfect Ale along Connecticut's Beer Trail
- New 2014 Official Connecticut Visitors Guide Now Available!
- Cabin Fever Reliever
- Eagle Watching in Connecticut
- 15 Ways to Get Active, Stay Healthy and Save Money in the New Year
- Getaways for Less Than $10
- Sleigh Rides in Connecticut
- Connecticut Chocolate Trail
- Connecticut's Quaint New England Towns & Villages
- Skiing, Snowboarding & Tubing in Connecticut
- Revolutionary Connecticut
- Connecticut’s Top 10 Fan-Favorite Towns
- Connecticut Recovers
- Connecticut's Cultural Treasures
- Connecticut Wineries
- Connecticut's Top 10 Hiking Trails