34 Things to Do in Connecticut this May Last Updated: May 2021
Looking for something to do in Connecticut in May? Whether you want something active or relaxing, cultural or nature-oriented, historic or trendy, Connecticut's got you covered. Here are some highlights.
For even more ideas check out CTvisit.com where you can search by type of activity under the “DO” navigation tab, or browse articles full of ideas under the “IDEAS” tab.
1. Tee up. Grab your clubs, kart, and take a swing at Lyman Orchards Golf Club in Middlefield, Gillette Ridge Golf Club in Bloomfield, Longshore Park in Westport, Lake of Isles in North Stonington, Rockledge Golf Club in West Hartford, or Fairview Farm Golf Course in Harwinton.
2. Row, row, row your boat. Get out on the water and rent kayaks from Sea Kayak Connecticut in Westport, Black Hall Outfitters in Westbrook and Old Lyme, Clarke Outdoors in West Cornwall, or Branford River Paddlesports in Branford.
4. Float through the sky. Breathe in the warm spring air from way up top with a hot air balloon ride! Make unforgettable memories at Berkshire Balloons in New Hartford, Connecticut Voyager Balloons in Woodstock, or Aer Blarney Balloons in Bethlehem.
Arts & Culture
8. Find flowers. From daffodils to cherry blossoms and more, browse beautiful blossoms all over the state and visit these spots for all things springtime. Or pick your own gorgeous bouquet of tulips at Wicked Tulips Flower Farm in Preston!
9. See historic bridges. Did you know Connecticut is home to bridges with unique histories and designs? Road trip through the state and visit them all!
10. Visit famous homes. From noteworthy authors to well-known revolutionaries, Connecticut is filled with homes that once housed famous residents. Tour the Mark Twain House & Museum, Harriet Beecher Stowe Center, and the Nathan Hale Homestead.
11. Go antiquing. Travel across the state finding treasure on the Connecticut Antiques Trail – you never know what you’ll find!
12. Enjoy outdoor music. Kick back in a lawn chair and listen to the great artists on the MoCa Outdoor Concert Series in Westport, see the Hartford Symphony perform at the 2021 Spring Splash! Series in Hartford, or enjoy a lively night of entertainment at Lyman Orchards’ Dueling Pianos event.
Food & Drink Adventures
13. Get a free drink. Have you been vaccinated? Then you’re eligible for a free drink! When you show your vaccination card between May 19 – 31, you can get a free alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink from these participating restaurants.
14. Chow down at clam shacks. Welcome the season with fresh (and tasty) seafood at Connecticut’s classic clam shacks.
15. Dine the healthy way. From plant-based treats to locally sourced meals, enjoy feel-good food at these healthy dining spots throughout the state.
16. Grill and chill. It’s officially cookout season! Pick up locally sourced goods from Connecticut’s craft butchers and fish markets to make the perfect backyard feast.
17. Make the most of the wine trail. Try a tasting, buy a bottle, take in the views – there’s so much to love about the Connecticut Wine Trail. Visit these great vineyards and get your Wine Trail Passport for the perfect afternoon outing.
18. Solve a mealtime mystery. Enjoy dinner and an interactive show at The Dinner Detective in Hartford and New Haven, where you’ll partake in a murder mystery show paired with a delicious four-course meal.
19. Hang in beer gardens. If you haven’t been to a beer garden, it’s time to add it to your bucket list. Enjoy cool outdoor spaces – and beer, of course – at Shippan Landing in Stamford, GastroPark in West Hartford, and Housatonic River Brewing in New Milford.
20. Celebrate opening day. Enjoy classic rides, thrilling coasters, and several attractions you won't find anywhere else in New England at Lake Compounce’s Opening Day!
21. Make new (animal) friends. Meet friendly marine creatures at Mystic Aquarium or The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk, see tigers and more at Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport, and greet farm animals at Flamig Farm in West Simsbury or Cold Spring Farm in Colchester.
22. Travel back to Medieval times. Attend an enchanted recreation of a Medieval festival as one might have been long ago at Robin Hood's Faire Friends & Family Weekend – it may even become a family tradition!
23. Snap family photos. Take advantage of the warm air and beautiful blooms and plan a family photo shoot at these picture-perfect locations.
25. Make new discoveries. Plan a day where learning is fun at these exciting kids museums!
Rest & Relaxation
26. Get away with a good book. Kick off your summer reading with a truly local flair. Choose a book that takes place in Connecticut while staying at an inn in the same location with these suggested literature getaways.
28. Take in small-town charm. Leisurely stroll, shop, or dine in one of the state’s quaint towns and villages.
29. Treat yourself to a massage. After the tough year we’ve had, safely detox with a massage from great spas like The Spa at Litchfield Hills in Litchfield, Spa at Delamar Greenwich Harbor in Greenwich, Mandara Spa at Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Mayflower Inn & Spa in Washington, or By the Sea Day Spa in Branford.
30. Visit a nature center. Stroll beautiful trails, view galleries, learn about the environment and see animals when you visit the Stamford Museum & Nature Center, Roaring Brook Nature Center in Canton or the Connecticut Audubon Society Center at Pomfret.
31. Snap stunning shots. Whether you’re engaged, celebrating an anniversary, or simply want to capture memories, plan a romantic photoshoot at these picture-perfect destinations.
32. Have date night on a train. Break from your typical date night and enjoy a four-course meal aboard restored 1920s Pullman cars as you travel along the beautiful Connecticut River aboard the Essex Clipper Dinner Train.
33. Enjoy perfect pairings. Gardens and wine: two romantic things that are even better when paired together! Plan a romantic trip immersing yourselves in these stunning spots and sipping local wine.
34. Take in the scenery. Waterfront views are always romantic – why not experience them with your special someone? Take a sunset drive along the coast and soak up the romantic ambiance.