Shuck and Savor — Oysters in Connecticut Last Updated: August 2023
More than 70,000 acres of shellfish farms are cultivated in Connecticut’s coastal waters, harvesting over 200,000 bushels of oysters from Long Island Sound and Fisher’s Island Sound every year. With an outstanding reputation for quality and an outstanding safety record, the Connecticut oyster industry delivers fresh fish to restaurants and markets around the state. Here are a few places to try Connecticut oysters, (including the “Mystic”), for yourself! Before you visit, make sure to check the hours.
Dining on Oysters
Experience fresh oysters on the half shell, baked, smoked, or over ice stacked in a three-level tower at these restaurants around Connecticut.
- Shell & Bones Oyster Bar & Grill, New Haven
- S&P Oyster Company, Mystic
- Max’s Oyster Bar, West Hartford
- Oyster Club, Mystic
- The Wharf Restaurant at Madison Beach Hotel, Madison
- Ripka’s Beach Café, Norwalk
- Litchfield Saltwater Grille, Litchfield
- Water Street Café, Stonington
- Boca Oyster Bar, Bridgeport
- Liv's Oyster Bar, Old Saybrook
- Lucas Local Oyster Bar, Southbury
Fishing for Oysters
You can get to know some of Connecticut’s oyster farmers here, and maybe even visit the location and get tips on how to find, harvest and shuck oysters from the pros. If you get a permit, there are public places along the Connecticut shoreline where you can even fish for your own oysters. Learn more about recreational shellfishing in Connecticut here.
Find even more fresh seafood around Connecticut here.