Three period houses, Claude Coffin Indian Collection, special exhibits.Read More
The Eells-Stow House c.1700
The Eells-Stow House is believed to be the oldest house in Milford and takes part of its name from the Eells family, who arrived in Milford in the later 17th century from the Boston area.
The Clark-Stockade House c. 1780
The "Stockade House", so named many years ago, was traditionally the first house built outside the stockade or palisades which surrounded the town of Milford against Indians. The original house was moved to its present site in 1974 from Bridgeport Avenue near the hospital. This house was begun by Deacon George Clark about 1659 and grew in several stages to a saltbox style house.
The Bryan-Downs House c. 1785
Originally built by Captain Jehiel Bryan and his son on the Post Road between Milford and New Haven, near today's Kings Highway Cemetery, this house was dismantled and rebuilt as you see it today. Jehiel Bryan, Jr. wed Mary Treat in April, 1784 and they took up residence in their new six-room salt-box house. Their daughter, Mary Esther, married Ebenezer Downs of Woodbury and lived in the old family home also.