38 Things to Do in Connecticut this August Last Updated: August 2022
Looking for something to do in Connecticut in August? Whether you want something active or relaxing, cultural or nature-oriented, artistic or trendy, Connecticut's got you covered. Here are some highlights.
For even more ideas check out CTvisit.com where you can search by type of activity under the “DO” navigation tab, or browse articles full of ideas under the “IDEAS” tab.
1. Canoe or kayak. Connecticut is full of scenic bodies of water perfect for canoeing or kayaking. Some perfect inland spots include Cockaponset State Park, Bigelow Hollow State Park, and Lighthouse Point Park. Looking to rent your boat? Try Black Hall Outfitters in Westbrook and Old Lyme, Main Stream Canoes and Kayaks in New Hartford, or Scoot & Paddle in Milford.
2. Golf with the buddies. Call up some friends and hit the links on some of Connecticut’s best professional-grade golf courses. Gillette Ridge in Bloomfield, Blackledge Country Club in Hebron, and Fairview Farm Golf Course in Harwinton, or these great spots are perfect for an August outing.
3. Take a hike. With autumn right around the corner, August proves a perfect time to hike with a mix of warm weather and cooler temperatures. Some Connecticut favorites include Mattabesett Trail, Mansfield Hollow State Park, and Macedonia Brook State Park.
4. Reel in fish. Visit ponds, lakes, rivers and more to find some of Connecticut’s best fishing spots.
5. Find the perfect sunset. Summer is perfect time to get out and find beautiful sunsets – so why not pair it with active adventure? See the sunset from up high when you bike to the summit, take a sunset hike at Shenipsit State Forest, or stroll through Sunset Meadow Vineyards. Discover more of Connecticut’s best sunset spots here.
6. Zip to new heights. Go ziplining through the trees at HighFlyer Zipline, Adventure Park at the Discovery Museum or Adventure Park at Storrs, zipline by the water at Brownstone Park, or indoors at IT Adventure Ropes Course.
Rest & Relaxation
7. Sit back at the spa. From facials to massages and everything in between, pamper yourself at the spa and rejuvenate your entire body.
8. Relax by the lake. Kick back, take a dip, or have a picnic by one of Connecticut’s serene and beautiful lakes.
9. Unwind in new ways. Find your center like never before with a unique experience. Try sound healing at The Counduit Center in East Hartford, recharge in a salt cave at Salt of the Earth Spa in Woodbury, experience sensory deprivation therapy at Imagine Float in Avon, or chill out with cryotherapy at KUR Recovery Spa in Old Saybrook.
10. Hang with horses. Equine therapy is said to relieve anxiety, build self-esteem, and help those suffering from trauma. Try therapeutic riding at High Hopes in Old Lyme, Hidden Acres in Naugatuck, RainBow Rising in Dayville, or Horses Healing Humans in Stonington.
11. See the sunflowers. August is sunflower season! Get your fix of this cheery yellow flower at fun events such as the Sunflower Festival in Woodbury, the Sunflower Festival in Windsor, Sunset Sunflower Maze Wine Tastings in Middlefield, or practice Yoga in the Sunflowers in Woodbury.
Arts, Culture & History
12. Go antiquing. You never know what you’ll find on the Connecticut Antiques Trail – travel the trail to take home a piece of history!
13. Visit an art museum. Hit the Connecticut Art Trail and enjoy modern masterpieces to classic art from all around the world. Housatonic Museum of Art, Yale Center for British Art, and the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art are just a few of the iconic art museums in Connecticut.
14. Go mural hunting. Connecticut is full of incredible outdoor murals that are perfect for your next Instagram post.
16. Experience a summer concert. Enjoy some Connecticut’s sweet sounds at Stonington Vineyards, Connecticut’s Old State House, Goodspeed by the River, and these outdoor concert series. Or enjoy sandwiches, salads, and treats while listening to Music on the Green every Friday in Washington.
17. Go to an outdoor art festival. Check out Mystic Outdoor Art Festival, which showcases over 200 artists, more than two miles of arts and crafts including oils, comics, photographs, woodwork, pastels, and more. Or attend A Weekend in Norfolk, a three-day arts and music festival in the Litchfield Hills.
18. Enjoy an immersive experience. Walk through the unique multimedia Beyond Van Gogh experience and enjoy over 300 iconic artworks.
Food and Drink Adventures
19. Bet on barbecue. From mouthwatering ribs and wings to mac & cheese, fries, and more, devour barbecue favorites at these Connecticut barbecue joints.
20. Bake clams on an island. Hop aboard the Seaport Ferry to Sheffield Island, where you’ll get a true New England dining experience – a clambake!
21. Attend foodie fests. Lover of all things foodie? If you have a hard time choosing between all your favorite dishes, now you don’t have to. Taste cuisine of all kinds at the Hamden Food Truck Festival, the Glastonbury Food Truck Festival, and the Hey Stamford! Food Festival.
22. Sip cocktails. On a summer night, sip your way along the Signature Cocktail Trail for an evening of mules, margaritas, and everything in between.
23. Tour Food Truck Paradise. While the air is still warm, get out by the water and tour the cuisine at Food Truck Paradise in New Haven – devour everything from tacos to Thai food.
24. Celebrate waffles. August 24 is National Waffle Day! Indulge in these breakfast favorites at The Sloppy Waffle, Fresh Salt, Elm Street Diner, Athenian Diner, Mystic Diner, New Hartford Diner, or The Place 2 Be.
25. Plan a luxury picnic. Host a stunningly Insta-worthy affair… atop picnic blankets! Book a luxury picnic for you and your gang, complete with champagne, charcuterie, string lights, decorative pillows and much more with The Picnic Gals, The CT Picnic Co., CT XOXOXO, Luxury Picnic Co., Pause + Picnic, or LuxeCTpicnics. Looking for places to host your event? Try these great picnic spots around the state.
26. Spend “Summer at the Museum.” All summer long, kids 18 and under get in free at participating Connecticut museums – plan a day trip filled with discoveries.
28. Go mini golfing. Take in a summer afternoon and visit any one of Connecticut’s hole-in-one mini-golf courses such as Safari Golf, Saybrook Point Miniature Golf, Matterhorn Mini Golf, and Sonny’s Place.
29. Get some fresh air. Looking to get outdoors with the family? Round up the kids and explore these parks they're sure to love.
30. Plan a family beach day. While the summer’s still hot, cool down in the ocean and make plenty of sandcastles at Connecticut’s favorite beaches.
31. Tour a lighthouse. On a Saturday or Sunday, explore the 261-year old history of the New London Pequot Lighthouse on a tour the family will love.
32. Have fair fun. Country fair season has begun! From foodie favorites to rides, games, animals and more, check out the Lebanon Country Fair, Wolcott Country Fair, Terryville Lions Country Fair, and the Annual Chester Fair.
33. Road trip down the coast. An ocean view is always romantic… why not make a whole trip out of it? Plan a getaway just the two of you to road trip along the scenic Connecticut coast.
34. Stay in really unique spots. Spark romance by experiencing something truly new together. Book an unforgettable overnight in a lighthouse, a tipi, a treehouse, and so much more at these unconventional accommodations in Connecticut.
35. Explore off the beaten path. When you’re together you feel like you can conquer the world – but what about intimate, hidden gems? Perhaps that’s even more romantic. Explore these small towns off the beaten path with your significant other.
36. Cruise at sunset. Watching the sunset together? How romantic! Better yet, see it from a boat aboard Norwalk Islands Sunset Cruise, Saturday Sunset Cruises at the Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk, or the TGIF Sunset Cruises at RiverQuest.
37. Try date spots near the city. Looking for new and exciting dates spots? Discover unique places to woo your special someone near Connecticut cities.
38. Be sweet. Chocolate will forever be a romantic gesture – travel the Chocolate Trail together and try sweets with your sweetie. Looking for more? Check out these Instagrammable bakeries and sweet treats.