Things to Do in Connecticut this Winter Last Updated: November 2023
Looking for something to do in Connecticut this winter? Whether you want something active or relaxing, artsy or outdoorsy, historic or trendy, Connecticut's got you covered... all season long. Here are some highlights.
1. Try snowshoeing. Rent snowshoes from Housatonic River Outfitters and hit the Appalachian Trail and Mohawk State Forest. At Winding Trails in Farmington, you can rent snowshoes, skate skis, and cross-country skis.
3. Make a skate date. Sharpen your blades and practice your balance at the International Skating Center of Connecticut in Simsbury or book a skate time at Danbury Ice Arena or at Northford Ice Pavilion located in Northford.
4. Shred the slopes. Break out your skis, snowboards, and tubes for some downhill thrills at Mohawk Mountain Ski Area in Cornwall, Mount Southington Ski Area in Southington, Powder Ridge Mountain Park & Resort in Middlefield, and Ski Sundown in New Hartford.
8. Try snowshoeing. Rent snowshoes from Housatonic River Outfitters and hit the Appalachian Trail and Mohawk State Forest. At Winding Trails in Farmington, you can rent snowshoes, skate skis, and cross-country skis.
9. Rock it out. Ice climbing a little too intimidating? Don’t worry, adventure can happen anywhere – including indoors. Try out an exciting day of rock climbing at one of Connecticut’s rock climbing gyms like City Climb Gym in New Haven, Rock Climb Fairfield, or Central Rock Gym in Glastonbury.
Arts and Culture
10. Get artsy. Check out art exhibitions at New Britain Museum of American Art, The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum, The Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, and other art museums along on the Connecticut Art Trail .
11. Go concert-going. From rock and indie to country, classical and beyond, listen to sweet, sweet sounds at these great live music venues.
12. Visit famous homes. Uncover the historic worlds of Mark Twain, Harriet Beecher Stowe and more when you tour these famous house museums.
13. Snap some winter beauty. Take advantage of the winter wonderland sights at these Instagrammable winter locations and get the shot that will captivate your followers.
14. Explore history. Tour one of Connecticut's many history museums including the Mashantucket Pequot Museum & Research Center, the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, and the Nathan Hale Homestead.
Food and Drink Adventures
15. Tour top restaurants. Try award-winning flavors at Connecticut's Best Restaurants, recently announced by the Connecticut Restaurant Association.
18. Hop on the healthy trend. If one of your resolutions is to eat better, Connecticut has a handful of fresh and local dining spots that will help you meet your goals. Or try delicious vegan flavors at these plant-based restaurants, cafes, and eateries.
19. Dine fireside. Toast the cold days and nights hearthside. From pubs and shoreline inns to fine dining, warm up to these destinations.
20. Take a bite of history. Experience fine dining in unique repurposed spaces like a gas station, an engine room, a courtroom, or many other reimagined spaces throughout the state.
22. Sip brews. Connecticut’s craft beer scene is growing. Cozy up indoors at these destination breweries.
23. Drink when you're not drinking. Resolving to drink less, or perhaps committing to a Dry January? Try these fun non-alcoholic drinks of every flavor.
25. Chow down on chowder. When the weather is cold, it's a great time for a hot cup of savory soup! Sample Connecticut's best at these chowder houses.
26. Enjoy indoor adventures. From trampoline parks and indoor golfing to virtual reality experiences, ropes courses, even destinations to smash old items, stay warm inside and have tons of fun with these indoor activities.
28. Have a sweet day. Did you know that the world’s most comprehensive collection of PEZ memorabilia is right in Connecticut? Bring the whole family to see the PEZ motorcycle, the world's largest PEZ dispenser and more at the PEZ Visitor Center.
29. Feel the need for speed. If you’re in the mood for some fast-paced fun, check out some of Connecticut’s go-kart tracks like OnTrack Karting in Wallingford, RPM Raceway in Stamford, or Monza World Class Karting at Foxwoods in Mashantucket.
31. Visit world-class aquariums. Find sharks in the big tanks, enormously endearing African penguins, beluga whales and more at Mystic Aquarium. And at the Maritime Aquarium in South Norwalk, get up close with other marine life friends.
32. Board trains and trolleys. Ride the rails through the countryside when you explore train and trolley museums across the state.
Rest and Relaxation
34. Escape through the page. Curl up in a cozy place and travel to wherever you want – with a good book. Explore one of the best places to read and relax in Connecticut and spend an overnight in a spot with a tie to literature. Or simply find an inviting place to getaway with a book and watch the snow fall, like at Getaway Machimoodus.
35. Find wellness virtually. Join an online meditation session or take a mindfulness class from the comfort of your home with virtual offerings at Copper Beech Institute.
36. Unwind at the spa. Whether you go solo, plan a romantic outing, or grab the girlfriends for an afternoon, treat yourself to a lovely massage, facial, and more at one of Connecticut's relaxing spa destinations.
37. Float your cares away. Experience peace like you never have before with sensory deprivation therapy at Imagine Float in Avon or Surrender to the Float in Guilford. This activity has even been known to lower blood pressure!
38. Shavasana in a salt cave. Practice yoga in a blissful new location: a salt cave. Try a yoga class at Salt Cave of Darien or meditation-based yoga at Soulshine Salt Cavern in Durham for a whole new level of relaxation.
39. See a snowy beach. Something about the shoreline in winter is magical. Spark romance as the snow and water sparkle around you when you visit beaches after a snow.
40. Take a winter retreat. Essex, Madison, and Greenwich are just a few of Connecticut’s historic and charming towns that offer the perfect winter getaway for you and that special someone.
41. Cozy up by the fire. Whether you’re staying overnight or simply dining out, Connecticut has your romantic ambiance covered with these dreamy fireplace locations.
42. Stray from the cliché. Looking to plan a date they’ll never forget? Impress them with these unique and exciting date ideas.